If you are a women then you will know exactly what we are talking about when we say PMT. We all hate it and there are so many differing signs and symptoms that we end up dreading that time of the month. But do we really understand what PMT is and is there anything we can do about it?
Shane Mason a technician at Clinicians came to have a chat with us, so we thought we would share some of what we learnt:
- Pre-menstrual tension (PMT) or Pre-Menustral Syndrome (PMS) is a collection of symptoms that appear 3-14 days before menstruation, then disappear with period onset or soon after.
- PMT affects 20-50% of most women and is especially common in women in their 30's.
- Symptoms may be a combination of emotional, physical, psychological and mood disturbances.
- Many women also suffer from or heavy and/or painful periods.
So what causes Menstrual cycle imbalances?
There are 6 main reasons we can have an imbalance and some are as simple as stress levels or a change in blood sugar levels. But no matter what it is there are ways to manage these imbalances. Here is a breakdown of each one:
- Life stage related hormone imbalances
- Excess oestrogen
- Progesterone deficiency
- Cortisol imbalances
- Elevated prolactin
- Irregular ovaulation
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Poor diet or lifestyle factors
- Poor digestion and malabsorption
- Food Intolerances
- Physical or emotional stress
- Unstable blood sugars
- Neotransmitter imbalances
- Thyroid/adrenal imbalances
What can be done to help with these symptoms?
Well there are various supplements you can take to help for example:
•Vitamin B6: works synergistically with magnesium to help reduce symptoms of PMT - nervous tension, mood swings, irritability, anxiety, low mood and tiredness.
•Magnesium: has been found to reduce both PMT and menstrual cramps (women with PMT have lower Mg levels than healthy controls).
•Zinc: is essential for ovulation and fertilisation and has multiple actions on hormone metabolism. Zinc also helps manage skin breakouts, acne, blood sugar balance and menstrual cycle sugar cravings.
There is also an all in one product from Clinicians called PMT Cycle Balance which contains all of the above plus 4 key synergistic herbs such as Milk thistle, Ginkgo, Withania and Chaste Trees. These herbs have been carefully selected due to their natural medicinal qualities. If you would like to know more then please stop by the pharmacy and we can help and explain in more detail.
So if you are struggling with PMT then drop by and see us at Unichem Greenhithe Pharmacy and let us help you today.